Skip to main content

Victoria BC Cycling Day Trip

In preparation for the Victoria 1/2 Ironman this weekend, I took a day trip to Victoria a couple of weekends ago to ride the course.  

Ellen, who is always up for cycling fun, was excited for the adventure.

We took a 7am ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay.  Parking at the Tsawwassen ferry terminal, we rode on the ferry.  This is a cheaper option than brining the car over and much more fun.  It does, however, require a bit more planning. 



 Waiting for the ferry in the holding pen.  Yay, no rain!


We paid the extra $12 to sit in the SeaWest Lounge.  Quiet environment, comfy chairs, unlimited Starbucks coffee, yogurt, fruit and cheese!  Well worth the extra money.

View from the lounge.

I had the map for the route loaded in my phone but forgot the paper map.  My concern was my iPhone running out of juice before we were done.  A BC InfoCentre popped up at the perfect time on the Pat Bay Hwy so we stopped in for some info.  After grabbing a map, we were on our way.  We still managed to get off course more than a few times but most of the area looked familiar so I am confident in our ride. 

I remembered Victoria being hilly but was pleasantly surprised it was not as hilly as I remembered.  I will give St. George 70.3 credit for that.  After that race, I should never be afraid of hills around here.



Strava screenshot of the route.  We circled a few times to make almost 90kms.

Our day started at 4:45am by getting ready and being at the ferry for a 7am sailing.  The sailing time is about an hour and a half.  Around 9:30am we were in Swartz Bay and riding off the ferry.  By 1:20pm we were done and back at the ferry terminal to go home.  Too bad there wasn't a 2pm sailing.  We got the 3pm sailing and were back at the car in Tsawwassen by 5pm.  Not bad for a day of adventure.

Post ride recovery with Starbuck and Chocolate Milk (of course).  #pbchocolatemilk



Happy Training!

Comments

sexuences said…
Good Luck Erin ... :)

Popular posts from this blog

|ronman Canada Race Report - Part 6 (Final Report but just the beginning)

Run – 42.2kms – 5:11:09 The run was slow and basically went as planned. The first 3kms of the run are in and around the finish line. When I was at about the 2km mark, I could hear Jordon Rapp, the race winner giving his victory interview with Steve King. How crazy is that??!! I have 40kms to go on the run and the winner has finished. As I headed out of town and down Main Street I saw www.twitter.com/kelownagurl and her husband Erik cheering me on. Not more than 50 feet later I saw www.twitter.com/trifunster and her husband. I was running slowly but had a smile on my face and felt pretty good. I was not really concerned about the distance I had to cover still. I was pretty excited that I had now finished the swim and the bike and was now on the run. It was like being in a dream how quickly the time had passed during the day. Around 9kms into the run I started to feel the distinct tightness of my right IT Band. I had ITB 10 years ago when I first started to run marathons but t

April Fools 1/2 Marathon Plus 15km cool down

After my minor breakdown at work on Friday, I set off on Saturday for Sechelt.  I have run the April Fool's Half Marathon two times and this was my third time.  It never fails to be hilly and hard.   Sunday morning I started off at in Gibsons ready to run to Mission Point Park.  I took it very conservatively knowing that I would be adding another 15kms on at the end of the 'race'.   I crossed the finish line, collected my medal, filled my water bottles, ate a  piece of bagel and a bite of banana and kept running west.   I do not recommend running your longest run before a marathon in Sechelt if you are not used to hills.  That place is full of 12-15% grades both up and down. At the end of the day, I ran from 9:17am - 2pm with a few quick breaks to refill bottles, eat gels and take few rocks out of my shoes.   After a shower and some real food, I was back on the ferry to North Vancouver.  Reward:  White Spot Legendary Burger combo with cheese and a Coke.