Skip to main content

The 4 Hour Marathon Goal

Back in January when everyone was making New Year's resolutions, I really hadn't figured out my training goals for 2010.  I think this was the first year in quite a few that I didn't have at least one resolution.

I still don't have a resolution for 2010 but I do have a running goal.

I am going to run a 4 hour marathon at the BMO Vancouver Marathon in May.  The last time I ran this marathon was in 2002 when I ran about 4:40.  Since then, my marathon PR is 4:24:54 at the Florida Marathon in December 2009.  This was a hilly run and I feel like I can better the time.  Of course, bettering the time by 24 minutes is a lofty goal.

After scouring the Internets to find a suitable marathon plan, I decided to hire a local coach to help me achieve my goal.  I am now being coached by Calvin Gehlen of Finish Line Coaching.  Calvin coaches quite a few of The SAA members and is our official run coach.  If you are on Twitter, Calvin tweets as @FinishlineCoach.

With starting my new fabulous job and the Olympics being in town, I have had a pretty busy schedule.  My training has suffered a little but I am sure will be on track again next week.

So there you go...no turning back now.  I have put it out there.  I am going to run a 4 hour marathon.

Happy Training!

Comments

BEADLE said…
If anybody can do it, you can Erin !

your,
Bro
Mike W. said…
I know you will do it. Please help educate the rest of us and post your plans and your progress. Best of luck.
Chris said…
Erin, just wanted to let you know that I followed your podcast and training last year to your Iron finish. I was inspired to register for a middle distance tri (70.3) this September. Sending you wishes for great success in 2010 and in your marathon goals.

Chris
sneakersister said…
Erin, I know you can do it!
Brandon Wood said…
You can kill that Erin. Not a doubt in my mind!
cathy said…
You can do it Erin!

Popular posts from this blog

|ronman Canada Race Report - Part 6 (Final Report but just the beginning)

Run – 42.2kms – 5:11:09 The run was slow and basically went as planned. The first 3kms of the run are in and around the finish line. When I was at about the 2km mark, I could hear Jordon Rapp, the race winner giving his victory interview with Steve King. How crazy is that??!! I have 40kms to go on the run and the winner has finished. As I headed out of town and down Main Street I saw www.twitter.com/kelownagurl and her husband Erik cheering me on. Not more than 50 feet later I saw www.twitter.com/trifunster and her husband. I was running slowly but had a smile on my face and felt pretty good. I was not really concerned about the distance I had to cover still. I was pretty excited that I had now finished the swim and the bike and was now on the run. It was like being in a dream how quickly the time had passed during the day. Around 9kms into the run I started to feel the distinct tightness of my right IT Band. I had ITB 10 years ago when I first started to run marathons but t

April Fools 1/2 Marathon Plus 15km cool down

After my minor breakdown at work on Friday, I set off on Saturday for Sechelt.  I have run the April Fool's Half Marathon two times and this was my third time.  It never fails to be hilly and hard.   Sunday morning I started off at in Gibsons ready to run to Mission Point Park.  I took it very conservatively knowing that I would be adding another 15kms on at the end of the 'race'.   I crossed the finish line, collected my medal, filled my water bottles, ate a  piece of bagel and a bite of banana and kept running west.   I do not recommend running your longest run before a marathon in Sechelt if you are not used to hills.  That place is full of 12-15% grades both up and down. At the end of the day, I ran from 9:17am - 2pm with a few quick breaks to refill bottles, eat gels and take few rocks out of my shoes.   After a shower and some real food, I was back on the ferry to North Vancouver.  Reward:  White Spot Legendary Burger combo with cheese and a Coke.