Skip to main content

Feed Me!

This week was my recovery week in my training program. I did enjoy the shorter one a day workouts but I am still extraordinarily hungry. As part of my unspoken New Year's resolutions, I have planned to try and eat 1/2 as much as I usually do. This has proven to be challenging. I know I still need to keep a balanced diet but portion control is a challenge most of the time for me. Today was a good example of a typical eating day for me (not 'on track' however):

Breakfast
  • Peanut Butter Sandwich
  • 12 oz Accelerade
  • Grande Vanilla Ribios Tea at Starbucks

Snack when I arrived at work
  • Cup of fat free yogurt
  • Large spinach salad with 1 hard boiled egg and dressing
Lunch

  • Butter Chicken with rice from Wok Box

Snack
  • Orange
  • Another cup of fat free yogurt

Dinner

  • Authentic Chinese food dinner for a friend's 1 month baby party

I really need to focus on not getting over hungry and staying on track. I have been able to avoid alcohol and doughnuts with little effort in the first 9 days of 2009. This is a good thing.

Tomorrow, I have a trainer ride schedule and I may skip my Sunday run in lieu of snowboarding in Whistler. I have not been snowboarding in 2 years so that should be interesting.

Happy training!

Comments

ramster said…
a couple of suggestions

You didnt mention your reason for cutting your food by half (yikes!), but i assume it is to maintain or lose weight. this probably wont work, your body goes into strarvation mode and you will actually slower your metabolism, makign it harder to lose weight. why not simply try to maintain a 'normal' caloric intake, or if you must reduce by 10%. Watch you dont over do it. if you are feelign tired or stressed, increase your calories by 10% for a week and see what happens.

Rather than eating 5 or 6 times a day, try eating one large meal between 12 and 2. after that big lunch take a short, brisk walk. with a small snack in mornign and at night, you may find this worls better than spreading food out all day. your digestion is most active midday, and youll get more nutritional value of taken at this time. you may find this allws for the reduction of calries, because youll better absorb the food you take. try it for a week, it can be amazing!
I feel the need to explain what I was thinking when I said 'cut my food in half'. I really didn't mean eat 1/2 as much exactly.

I would like to lose a few lbs before IM Canada but only to be at a more ideal race weight.

I really meant cutting my portion size in half when eating out (which I do quite a bit). Restaurant portions (even in Canada) are usually too big and should be shared or cut in half.

Probably a better option for me is to eat only quality food that will fuel my training and not just taste good in the moment.

Thanks for your advice. I will give it a try.
cliff said…
Hey Erin, take a look at this http://www.saskpulse.com/media/pdfs/Pages_9-10_Lentil_Research_Chilibeck.pdf

Popular posts from this blog

|ronman Canada Race Report - Part 6 (Final Report but just the beginning)

Run – 42.2kms – 5:11:09 The run was slow and basically went as planned. The first 3kms of the run are in and around the finish line. When I was at about the 2km mark, I could hear Jordon Rapp, the race winner giving his victory interview with Steve King. How crazy is that??!! I have 40kms to go on the run and the winner has finished. As I headed out of town and down Main Street I saw www.twitter.com/kelownagurl and her husband Erik cheering me on. Not more than 50 feet later I saw www.twitter.com/trifunster and her husband. I was running slowly but had a smile on my face and felt pretty good. I was not really concerned about the distance I had to cover still. I was pretty excited that I had now finished the swim and the bike and was now on the run. It was like being in a dream how quickly the time had passed during the day. Around 9kms into the run I started to feel the distinct tightness of my right IT Band. I had ITB 10 years ago when I first started to run marathons but t

April Fools 1/2 Marathon Plus 15km cool down

After my minor breakdown at work on Friday, I set off on Saturday for Sechelt.  I have run the April Fool's Half Marathon two times and this was my third time.  It never fails to be hilly and hard.   Sunday morning I started off at in Gibsons ready to run to Mission Point Park.  I took it very conservatively knowing that I would be adding another 15kms on at the end of the 'race'.   I crossed the finish line, collected my medal, filled my water bottles, ate a  piece of bagel and a bite of banana and kept running west.   I do not recommend running your longest run before a marathon in Sechelt if you are not used to hills.  That place is full of 12-15% grades both up and down. At the end of the day, I ran from 9:17am - 2pm with a few quick breaks to refill bottles, eat gels and take few rocks out of my shoes.   After a shower and some real food, I was back on the ferry to North Vancouver.  Reward:  White Spot Legendary Burger combo with cheese and a Coke.